Friday, March 13, 2009

The sunshine comes and it goes

Saturday was awesome! Susan and I ran the Berry Half Marathon. A wonderful experience overall. I woke up in Rome, GA after staying the night with four (five, sorry about that little gymnast, you were the best!) wonderful friends. Sue and I ran the Half Marathon as two of our friends ran the 10 K! Katie and Brian, ya'll both did a great job! The race was beautiful. Sue did great! She ran a personal best!

We just got the proofs from the photographers who were on the course and I couldn't help but laugh because I was always smiling at the camera and goofing off and Sue was focused on the course. I didn't realize it as it was happening but she was motivated and would not be distracted.

And then the sunshine, it has gone again this morning and taken the warm weather with it. I also found out last night as the weather was leaving by the vale of the night my Aunt has 4-6 weeks left to live. She was diagnosed earlier this year with terminal cancer and has recently decided not to continue chemotherapy. Which has led me to ponder about life and the way that it ends. She has been able to tie up loose ends and knows she is close to the end. Would I rather go out that way, or pass quietly in the night, or would I rather not think about it.

But it's going to happen sometime. Which leads me to think about why we try not to think about death? Do we not have a future hope of heaven? And if we as followers of Christ aren't comfortable about an afterlife than is the hope we have for people here on Earth, as we try to bring back people into this glorious light, enough? Does it say something about our faith if we aren't comfortable with the the thought of heaven?

Spring is coming and Easter is on the way, but this seems like an appropriate Lenten Post.

On the sunnier side, here are some pictures from the race.


No comments:

Post a Comment