Monday, February 9, 2009

What's up with the days?

Two thoughts, short and sweet.
1- I haven't been able to keep up with my days since 2009 has kicked off. Is it Monday? Maybe Sunday, I don't seem to know. I hear that people often have this problem when they are depressed but I don't feel depressed. It is only early in the morning and it has been a problem. What's up with that?

2- CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) They keep telling me in this experience that I am not supposed to give advice or DO anything but be a presence and allow people to come to their own answers, work through their own grief and I am supposed to be with them and BE a presence in the midst of it all. This leads me to wonder, is there any other profession where people are called to not share the knowledge they have but rather hold back and allow others to come to their own conclusions even if you recognize a cultural pattern, individual life experience that is similar, or a theory that has been well established and not share it but instead to BE not act or share those experiences. I am trying and think this is a great experience for me but I do feel it is a little... a lot difficult for me to understand.

Any thoughts? Feb. 9th... Feb. is creeping...come on March... I need some Madness and bracketology

1 comment:

  1. On Point #2: Sounds a lot like psychology and psychotherapy to me, where the job is to listen and skilfully guide people (patients) to seeing the light on their own. You know the saying, you can' help someone if they don't want to help themselves. The "skillfully guide" part is the difference between bad and great therapists/clinicians. I suggest the writings of Carl Rogers and others on this point. There is a way to give people your answer but in a way that they feel they discover it themselves.

    ReplyDelete